Grade level: appropriate for 1st – 4th grade, target grade is 1st
Course type: textbook
Materials: For the most part, all lab materials are household items. Please refer to the Supplies tab for items that are not commonly found in households. Please see Try Before You Buy for a complete list of the lab supplies needed to complete this course. Home Science Tools offers supply kits for all RSO courses.
RSO Life 1 Course Description
You will find R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey (RSO) to be unlike any other science curricula available. Most notably, it is secular. Only scientific inquiry and theory based on empirical and measurable evidence are understood to be valid and standard science in all of our RSO courses.
Also, RSO courses are written specifically for home and small group use. Packed full of serious science and loads of fun, RSO is an incremental program that gently builds on itself and incorporates mathematics, scientific method, and science terminology. Created with the science novice in mind, you don’t need any science background to teach RSO.
RSO Life (level one) is divided into three sections: the human body, the animal kingdom, and the plant kingdom. Students study the major body systems through making models and doing tests on their own bodies. Classification and the five kingdoms of living things are studied as students make an animal kingdom book. Animal kingdom labs include examining real worms, mollusks, arthropods, and butterfly metamorphosis. Students learn about the plant kingdom through looking at the makeup and function of seeds, flowers, leaves, stems, and roots.
The following is a list of topics your child will learn during the year while completing Life (level one). Each topic and/or subtopic will include 1 to 3 lessons complete with lesson story, labs, reading, and other activities. Each topic will take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to complete. Remember your child will also be having a whole lot of fun. Also included in this scope are laughing, playing, digging, exploring, reading, singing, and begging for more RSO!
RSO Life (Level 1) Scope and Sequence
What is Life?
- Living vs. nonliving
- Living characteristics
- Cell, nucleus, membrane, vacuole, chloroplast
- Introduction to the Five Kingdoms of Living Things
- How and why scientists classify things
The Human Body
- Skeletal and muscular systems- structure and function
- Circulatory system- structure and function, blood and blood types
- Respiratory system- structure and function
- Digestive system – structure and function
- Nervous system – structure and function, five senses
- Growth and genetics – stages of growth and inheritance
- Arthropod (insects, arachnids, and crustaceans)
- Invertebrates vs. vertebrates
- Chordate (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals)
- Seeds (parts and function)
- Flowers (parts and function)
- Leaves (photosynthesis and types)
- Stems and Roots (types and functions)
Important Copyright Information: If you choose the eBook version of this course, you are purchasing a license to use the PDF for your own children. You may make copies for your own children, but you may not share (email, download, print and distribute, resell, etc.) this eBook or any portion of this eBook to others.
Licensing is available for group, school, and co-op use. Please contact Pandia Press for details on group licensing ([email protected]).