With RSO Earth & Space, students observe, speculate, hypothesize, experiment, and conclude through the topics of weather, seasons, the Earth, rocks & minerals, our solar system, and space. Students learn by doing through engaging written lessons that are heavily reinforced by hands-on labs and activities.
R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey
Read, Explore, Absorb, and Learn science Earth & Space
RSO Earth & Space (level one) is appropriate for 1st to 4th grade. Topics include weather, seasons, the earth, minerals, rocks, our solar system, and space. Students study the weather and atmosphere with several hands-on labs including making an anemometer, a rain gage, and water cycle in a bowl. Rocks and minerals are studied in depth with students identifying their samples through the same tests used by geologists. Each planet in our solar system is studied individually as students make their own planet book. Earth & Space has recently been revised to include changes to the status of Pluto and the definition of planet.
The following is a list of topics your child will learn during the year while completing Earth & Space (level one). Each topic and/or subtopic will include 1 to 3 lessons complete with lesson story, labs, reading, and other activities. Each topic will take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to complete. Remember your child will also be having a whole lot of fun. Also included in this scope are laughing, playing, digging, exploring, reading, singing, and begging for more RSO!
What is Earth & Space?
- Weather and Seasons – monitoring weather, understanding seasons
- The Water Cycle
- The Earth’s Interior – crust, mantle, outer core and inner core
- The Earth’s Surface – water and land
- Minerals – what they are and how to identify them
- Rocks and the Rock Cycle – igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
- Erosion – wind, water, ice, and biological erosion
The Solar System
- The Earth/Moon System
- The Solar System – the sun, planets, and asteroid belts
- The Planets – Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
- Pluto is studied as a dwarf planet
- Stars, Comets, Meteoroids and Asteroids
- What´s Not in Space?
Water Lab Parent Page
Earth Student Notebook
Water Student Page
Weather Student Notebook Page
Suggested Weekly Schedule
TOC and Material List
Purchase R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Earth & Space from the following quality retailers:
- Rainbow Resources
- Classical Home Education
- A Brighter Child Homeschool Bookstore
- CBD Offers the full line of Pandia Publications at www.christianbook.com or 1-800-CHRISTIAN (1-800-247-4784)
- Home Science Tools
- The Education Express – 3173 Old Olympic Hwy, Port Angeles, WA 98362
- Pandemonium Booksellers
- Home Works
- Classical Education Resources