Choose a level: Level One - Appropriate for 1st through 5th grade Level Two - Appropriate for 5th through 9th grade
Each book of RSO level one is a complete one-year science curriculum.
Each topic in the RSO series of books is presented in an entertaining
story-like format and is followed by hands-on activities along with
background science information, parent instructions, labs, reading lists,
journaling ideas, and websites.
Scientific Method, Mathematics, and RSO Level One We strongly believe children benefit from using scientific method at an early age.
RSO level one infuses scientific method and age-appropriate mathematics in every
course. Students learn how to speculate, hypothesize, experiment, and conclude.
Observation skills are developed through sketch drawings and written descriptions.
Analytical skills are encouraged through comparing, forming questions, and
interpretations. Students make age-appropriate calculations, plot results, make
graphs, and diagram information, just like R.E.A.L. scientists!
Not a dry collection of facts to be memorized or a pile of mind-numbing
worksheets: RSO Level Two courses bring science alive! By engaging young
people’s minds at the same time they are actively participating in learning,
Level Two courses are uniquely designed to bring high school-level concepts
to middle school-aged children. Although intended to follow Level One RSO
courses, no prior science experience is required to successfully complete
Level Two. Level Two courses are “independent” courses; meaning the
student text is written to the student. Teacher Guides are available for
each course and highly recommended.
- Entertaining Illustrated Lessons - intended to engage students and
encourage critical thinking and analytical skills
- Famous Science Series - biography essay assignments of
influential scientists and discoveries
- Labs and Formal Lab Reports
- Microscope Labs
- Show What You Know - science vocabulary and lesson review
- Writing and Research Assignments
- Suggested course scheduling
- Summary of each lesson, plus more in depth information, explanations, and further research suggestions
- Sample Lab Reports and suggested answers
- Learning goals, objectives, and student expectations
- Suggestions for teaching the course
- Assessments, Quizzes, and Reviews (with answer key, rubric, and grading scale)